JULY 29-30, 2017Register
We all like to relax and in some instances, this involves socialising and enjoying a beer with friends and loved ones. During these times of enjoyment, it is important to ensure that not only ourselves, but those around us, are safe and do not come to harm so that every experience with beer is a positive one.
The hackathon challenges will focus on finding solutions that use data and technology to reduce the harmful use of alcohol and ensure our beers are enjoyed responsibly by all our consumers.
Hackathons aren't just for those who can code or owns a soldering iron! We know it takes a solid team with various skill sets to produce the most creative results. We welcome all creative types to our event!
Thank you for registering. Use the link and social buttons below to invite your friends!
More details regarding the two challenges will be provided on the day of the hackathon, but come prepared and expect the following:
Internet of Things (IoT)
Calling all engineers! The IoT challenge will require everything you have in your toolkit. Raspberry Pi’s Arduinos, Resistors, Modules, bring it all!
Deploy cutting edge techniques against our diverse data set to create new capabilities and find game changing insights!
- You have to be 18 on the day to be able to participate!
- Teams need to be 3 to 5 individuals with varying skill sets – ensure you have a great idea, people to execute it & someone that can convey your message via the pitch!
- We encourage you to pre-build your solution and bring your prototype to the event! We are looking for quality solutions !
- You are welcome to use any software and/or hardware technology you like – we will provide support in some e.g. Microsoft Azure Platform, Cloudera, Qlik/QlikSense & Tableau.
- We will provide business support – people to speak to that understand our business, our market as well as what we want to achieve with the Harm Reduction Strategy i.to. Road Safety & Underage Drinking
- By the time you get to the event you need to have a team & a good idea / prototype of your solution, the 2 days will be used to refine & solution and build your final pitch!
- You have to submit your idea to us to evaluate before the event! Do a great job… as only the best teams will be able to attend the event! We can only accommodate 150 participants.
- There will be 2 pre-events on the 6th of June and on the 27th of June at Microsoft in Bryanston – register to get the information to these events. The 1st event will be about giving you a view of the theme, tell you more around how to design your solution i.e. design thinking, the tools i.e. Microsoft Azure platform and last but not least the process to follow to upload your ideas for evaluation!
- You are welcome to stay over at the venue & even sleep if you have time– we will provide beanbags, but please bring along a sleeping bag / blanket & pillow to make it more comfortable! There will also be accommodation specials at some of the venues close to the event that I will distribute.
- We unfortunately won’t be covering travel cost – if you can’t attend this one in Johannesburg look out for the next event in your area!
Dr. Vukosi Marivate
Senior Data Scientist, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) - Vukosi mainly focuses on Machine Learning and mining unstructured data to extract insights.
Global Director Innovation & Analytics, AB InBev - Pato is responsible for anticipating the future needs of ABI and developing/deploying global capabilities.
Regional Corporate Affairs Director, SAB - Shobna has been with SAB for 11 years and has won several community and government awards
Dr. Jeff Yu-Jen Chen
Full-time faculty member, Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) - Jeff is currently concluding his PhD (WBS) focused on enhancing the collective intelligence for corporate innovation.
Vice President: Solutions, AB InBev Africa - Lee is a graduate from Glasgow University with a background in the nuclear Industry and a career in management around the globe in the beverage Business.
We believe that the best ideas and execution deserve the best prizes! The winning teams will get ..
- R20 000 cash for the winning team! (Vodacom)
- iPad Wi-Fi 32GB's (Decision Inc)
- Beer for a Year (Flying Fish)
- Radio Controlled Drone (EOH)
- Sneaker vouchers (Flying Fish)
- JBL T450 Headphones (EOH)
- PowerBanks (SAB Foundation)
Best Data Insights solution
- Tableau training from Slipstream
- Qlik training from Decision Inc
*The winning teams will also have the opportunity to be interviewed for potential job and/or investment opportunities!
Business, Innovation & Design Thinking
Procurement Capabilities Portfolio Manager, AB InBev Africa - Zoleka is responsible for driving continuous improvement, supplier compliance and capability development in procurement which includes accelerating the integration of sustainability, entrepreneurship and transformation (BBBEE) aspects into the company’s ways of working and strategies.
Better World Project Manager, AB InBev Africa - Kalashni manages and executes the Better World strategies and integrate them into the overall strategies across the Africa Zone.
The good stuff guy - Brent is recognised as one of the Mail and Guardian’s Top 200 Young South African’s as well as a Primedia LeadSA Hero. He is a radio host, good news journalist, vlogger and advocate for good..
Senior Manager in Accenture’s Digital Practice - Lazaros has been working with Accenture for 10 years with a focus on disruptive business models and strategies, and influencing solution and service designs to change the way businesses operate from the C-suite to an operational level.
Head: Consumer & Shopper Innovation, AB InBev Africa - Sameer is a researcher at heart and thrives on solving business problems with creative and innovative solutions. He holds undergraduate degrees in mathematics and economic science, an MBA and is currently an Applied Mathematics and Computer Science PhD candidate.
People Continuity Director, AB InBev Africa - Yolande was with SAB for 20 years in generalist HR roles in SA and the Africa Hub, the last one being the HR Director for 5 years until February 2017. She is passionate about Africa and contributing to its development and bettering people's lives.
Content Director, Creative Space Media - Sizwe a maverick entrepreneur and ESD personality. Over and above building conversations for content rich conferences, Sizwe is also editor of 2 annual enterprise development publications; namely the ESD Handbook 2017 which gets national distribution with the Financial Mail, and the Impact publication targeted at enterprise development practitioners.
SAB +18 mentor - Sipho is a SAB +18 mentor that also does motivational talks and public speaking.
SAB +18 mentor -Mdu is a Dancer, events/ Roadshow MC and photographer/filmmaker. A passionate social innovator trying to change the world one mentee at a time.
Safety Manager, AB InBev Africa - I am responsible for shaping the business’s safety strategy and the rolling out thereafter. I’m overall responsible for the roll out of the new ABInBev’s safety management system for the zone: Africa. I’m extremely passionate about shaping the way we look at the concept of safety management as a whole.
PigSpotter - Cliff is an ordinary run-of-the-mill guy, opinionated and determined entrepreneur. Created @PigSpotter at a time when police corruption and extortion was rife. 7 years on, half a million followers later, new doors opening and new projects in the pipeline.
National Chairman, Justice Project South Africa (NPC) - Howard is a former policeman and the founder and Chairperson of Justice Project South Africa, an NGO which concentrates purely on road traffic legislation and its enforcement; to ensure that it is both, fair and effective in addressing driver behaviour on South Africa’s roads.
Internet of Things (IoT)
Developer Architect, AB InBev Africa - Kevin specialises in software development and data integration. Focus areas include Web API, .Net, SQL Server, Alteryx and HTML. BSc Honours in Information Technology from North-West University.
Cloud Architect, Opennetworks - Paul specializes in big data technologies and integration of data platforms from Google BigQuery to Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub into the enterprise. Paul has a BSc (Honours) in Electrical Engineering from the University of the Witwatersrand and is currently studying towards his M.Sc. in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing.
Environmental Engineer, AB InBev South Africa - Daniel is a passionate engineer which loves to solve problems with all things relating to beer. He has SAB exposure all the way from logistics, maltings to beer manufacturing.
Tech Supply Specialist, AB InBev Africa - Chris works at ABInbev in Tech Supply which aims to use innovative systems and technology to improve the performance of our plants and the productivity of our people. He has a BSc Eng. in Mechatronics from UCT and his background is in Process Control Engineering where he has designed and maintained South African Breweries’ control systems which includes plant instrumentation, PLCs, Industrial Networks, Virtualised Servers and SCADA systems.
Sales Engineer for Cloudera South Africa - Jeff helps companies store, process and analyse their data. He has B.Sc in electrical engineering from Wits, a data science qualification from Johns Hopkins, started www.limn.co.za, a website dedicated to data visualisation for South Africa and plays bass guitar for psychedelic funk band One Might Atom.
Academic Programs Strategist, Tableau Software - Thierry has been working at Tableau for 3 years where he manages the Academic Programs in EMEA. In his role at Tableau, Thierry has been visiting over 100 Universities across various countries in the region to give lectures on data visualization and demoing Tableau Desktop.
Jean Paul Mubima
Senior Software Engineer and visual analytics specialist, Slipstream - Jean Paul has 8 years of experience in data insights and visual analytics with Tableau, and has worked extensively in solution architecture and implementation of data management and business intelligence systems. He is the Johannesburg Tableau user group leader and a champion in the visual analytics community.
Breakfast will be served
Partners, Judges, and Mentors introduced
Coding and Tech Support Begins
Activity / Workshop
Hack through the night! Although staying overnight isn’t required, we highly recommend it.
CODING ENDS, PROJECTS SUBMITTED
1 pm - 3:30 pm
Selection of winners (3:30 - 4 pm)
SAB World of Beer is the definitive home of beer in Johannesburg, South Africa, offering a fun, creative and informative tour and first-class conferencing facilities.